Counsellors and Counselling Supervisors
All our counsellors are either qualified or are training to acquire a counselling diploma. Low cost regular professional supervision of counsellors is provided by the service.
Applications are currently closed for trainee placements for student counsellors. However, if you are interested we might consider applicants on a case-by-case basis, depending on our needs and supervision capacity. Please see the ‘Application information’ link below.
Counselling placements at NLCS
In-training counsellors should be attending training that provides a professional qualification (Diploma-level or above) on completion, and will be approved as ready for practice by their course tutors before starting their placement. You will need to have successfully completed your programme’s required assignments prior to interview and be able to confirm this.
Qualified counsellors should possess a relevant qualification. We will normally consider applicants from courses that are equivalent to the BACP course accreditation requirements. We may ask for further details of your courses.
NLCS operates collegially, with the intention of modelling the person-centred way of being. Our counselling service is tailored to the individual client and upholds a humanistic and existential ethic of engaging with people mutually in a deeply valuing and respectful way. This means as members we do our best to engage equitably and professionally with all other members and clients, and we ask the same of all applicants.
What we offer:
- high-quality, low-cost in-house supervision;
- regular meetings and Continuing Personal Development;
- (if relevant) a strong partnership with you and your training organisation so that we can help and support you on your journey towards a professional qualification;
- (if relevant) the opportunity to accrue the practice hours you need to qualify.
What we ask of you:
- a commitment in principle to the organisation, as a professional colleague offering a professional and responsive service;
- a focus on client well-being, alongside your own needs whether as a trainee or qualified counsellor;
- your full commitment to supervision, professional advice and working within our procedures. As an organisational member of The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, we are bound by its code of ethics and practice;
- (trainees only): to obtain client consent to confidential recording of sessions for discussion in supervision;
- a commitment in practice to make a small, additional contribution to the running of the organisation which depends, for its survival, on volunteer help.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete an enhanced DBS check (this will not happen on the day of the interview). Appropriate induction will be provided upon appointment. It can normally take a number of weeks to make arrangements to get started with your first clients. Counselling normally takes place in an hourly session on a weekly basis at our main site in Lancaster in rented accommodation. It may also be possible for you to undertake some phone or video counselling, depending on your experience and the requirements of your training course (if relevant). The number of sessions is negotiated collaboratively between client and counsellor. For some clients a small number of sessions will be sufficient, whilst some clients may benefit from longer-term counselling. We ask clients to give regular donations to keep our service going, though occasionally, where necessary, counselling is given free of charge. Counsellors will normally be offered a minimum of 2 clients.
If you are interested in applying for a placement with us, please get in touch. Here is further Application Information detailing the documentation that we normally ask for from applicants. Correspondence relating to this vacancy will be conducted electronically. If you would like a chat about placements, please let us have your contact details including a phone number and email address and a member of our team will get back to you.
Expressions of interest in counselling placements can be emailed to:
We are always interested in hearing from Supervisors who would like to volunteer with NLCS. Please contact:
NLCS is seeking Qualified Supervisors with a minimum of 3 years counselling experience. We ask for your commitment to the Peer Group which meets every 4-5 weeks. Supervisors receive payment direct from their supervisees at a rate that reflects the voluntary nature of the service.
Supervision Training Fund: If you are an experienced and qualified counsellor thinking of training as a Supervisor you may be interested in becoming a member of NLCS. We periodically have funding for supervision training in return for a three year commitment to the organisation. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Workshops
Qualified counsellors from the wider community (non-NLCS) are very welcome to many of our CPD sessions. See our CPD page for details.